Monday, August 20, 2007

Preparations underway

So today's task was cleaning and polishing Sir's boots (and mine). I'm getting gear and tools ready to be packed, and so spending some time making sure his boots look their best was a priority. I find the slow, methodical working on something so concrete, that shows such measurable and immediate results very rewarding. It also puts me in a certain frame of mind, a focus, or concentration, very detailed and perfectionist. Caring for our leathers feels good.

I've ordered up a few odds and ends to help with the packing, or to organize, so hopefully, they will be at the mailbox waiting for us today. Honestly, I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed by all that I need to do and get together before we leave for FW this weekend, but at the same time, it gives me something to work towards.

I'm also hoping my gift to Sir will have arrived, we'll have to wait and see.

The other small detail is that I've been working on 'cards' of a sort to hand out as the need arises. I'm not one much on 'business cards', particularly in these situations, but a calling card of sorts can be appropriate. So I've ordered some postcards from Japan, I have some ink stamps, I'm working up a small printed piece with my name and contact info, and I'll probably complete them with my hanko stamp. I can't quite anticipate how they'll be used yet, but having something on hand seems appropriate. I've been contemplating how much information to put on them, which information to put on them etc. As I said, it's a small detail, yet it feels important to get it some level of 'right'.

My work on all the small tasks relating to packing, preparation, etc are helping Sir continue some of other important work he's been doing, so right now anyway, I feel very 'of use' to him. Again, it's a good feeling.

Today was also special in that despite, or perhaps due to the rainy greyness outside, it's like mutual of Omaha's wild kingdom outside, birds and other critters everywhere! I've decided to take it as a bit of a 'positive sign' going into this.

No comments: